Home at last.
The trip itself was mediocre. For being only a 500 mile drive, it seemed like it took forever. We left on Christmas Day, early evening. My husband wanted to have supper before we left, but I convinced him that we'd just get drive-thru on the way. Me, in my infinite wisdom, thought at least the McDonald's drive-thru would be open. Guess what. The only thing we found open in 87 miles was a Chinese restaurant. They were great though, but I'm pretty sure the 30% tip I gave them helped (I was damn happy to find something open--even every Walmart we passed was closed). Remind me to never start a journey like that on Christmas Day ever again.
We were in the wilds of northern Kansas Friday morning when the low-tire pressure light came on on the dashboard. We pulled into the town we were conveniently passing by and discovered we had a very flat tire. Which was fixed to the tune of $116. Thank you, Tom of Sabetha, Kansas. Other than that, we arrived unscathed. (And our trip home was uneventful and seemingly without end.)
We did the switch with the ex, and headed off to find some books. I went to three Goodwills and a Salvation Army, and struck out, big time. I found only two BSCs, no treasure trove that I was hoping for. I wanted to stop at one more Goodwill, but there wasn't enough time. That's probably the one with all the BSCs. So, this is what I did manage to find:
BSC #25, Mary Anne and the Search for Tigger. I think I might be getting this in trade, but I couldn't remember so I bought it anyway.
#32, Claudia and the Great Search. I don't see this one hanging around much, so I nabbed it.
Little Sister #39, Karen's Wedding. I got this one for Taren. My hubby started to read it and declared it "a piece of shit". He said he expected Mike Brady to pop out and start lecturing.
I had more luck getting non-BSC this time around.
Ann M Martin books: Me and Katie (The Pest), Stage Fright, and P.S. Longer Letter Later, written with Paula Danziger. I haven't read any of them, so let's see how that goes.
Socks by Beverly Cleary. It's about a young couple who adopts a kitten and then starts a family. The now-grown cat, Socks, gets jealous of the baby. I really loved all the Cleary books as a youngster so I'm looking forward to rereading this.
Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink. I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but the main factor for purchasing this one is that it's mentioned in Super Special #4 Claud and Dawn Get Shipwrecked. Although I do have some kind of sick fascination with shipwreck and survival stories. (If anyone sees Lost Girls #2, Alone! please please please let me know because I can't find it anywhere.)
Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. I read this one once, the winter after it came out. I liked it, but not enough to buy it. I really debated buying this one. Then I decided I could part with fifty cents.
Lastly, I got two VC Andrews books, Midnight Whispers and Twilight's Child of the Cutler series. Both are keyholes, but a little beat up.
And now to the worst part of the post. Due to the fact that New Year's Eve is this week and we have to make a return trip to Kansas this weekend, I don't really know if I'll be able to do #57 this week. I'm really hoping I can. I'm getting a little burned out on BSC [I know, shame on me!] and I'm thinking of changing my posting schedule a little bit. If I do, you all will be the first to know. I really love doing this, but I noticed last week that I've only done two books this month and I was embarrassed for myself.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yay thank you for Karen's Wedding. Like I said, I used to own it, so I'm totally confident in telling your husband it really is a piece of shit -but in the most fun way!
With the holidays being crazy, and me having daycare problems, I've also only managed to do two books on my blog. I plan on being MUCH better in January.
The only restaurants ever opened on X-mas are Denny's and chinese restaurants. Denny's because they just never close and the drunks have to eat somewhere, even on a holiday. Chinese because it's a Jewish 'tradition' to eat chinese on Christmas. Although this year Christmas fell during Hannukah, so I'm not sure how much business a chinese restaurant would do.....
Post a Comment