Back to the book. I really love this particular Super Special, since I grew up in Minnesota and I know what blizzards are all about. I think I've mentioned this before, but I read this one during the first snowfall of the season. Every year. And it's taught me to: never go to New York City when you don't have enough food in your house for 9 people; don't get your hair permed for the dance; don't invite your boyfriend over if you're having blueberry pie for dessert; and never take a role in a ballet when your ballet school is not next door to your house. I'm pretty sure that this book is my inspiration for running to the grocery store whenever there's a flake of snow forecasted.
I always thought Mary Anne looked really pretty on this cover, if not thirteen. And if Mallory's really 11, I'll shoot myself.I've read this one so many times I don't think I need to read the entire book before I blog it. Let's try it, shall we? I think I'll just do each girl's story line and the WTFs for it. No Continuity Issues, unless they're glaringly obvious.
Kristy: Invites Bart to her house to watch a few videos and stay for dinner. The snow starts falling so quickly and thickly that Mrs. Brewer insists that he stay. (She probably wouldn't do that if he and Kristy were 17 instead of 13.) He spends the night in a guest room, and Kristy panics when she realizes that he'll be there in the morning seeing her look like death warmed over. Hey Kristy? Bart's spending the night unexpectedly, you really think he will look fab in the morning? Yeah, I didn't think so either.
Kristy's WTF Moments:
*I think we counted the bedrooms at Watson's once and decided there weren't any guest rooms. (I'm too lazy to look for that post, but you can find it, I'll do the book of your choice next time, after I do the Dawn book I've been putting off.)
*This was discussed on BSC Revisited: The time line of Kristy getting home from school, doing homework, inviting Bart over, taking forever at the video store, and watching 2 movies before dinner was ready. Well, ok, it was mostly me, but I'm bringing it up again. It never made sense to me, as a kid or an adult.
*The next morning when Kristy gets up at five-thirty, she tries to style her hair but it looks like "limp macaroni." Well, if you don't know what you're doing, that's what happens.
*When she finally leaves the bathroom, Sam and David Michael are standing there waiting to use it themselves. She tells D.M. to use his own bathroom, but he says this one's "closer." Is his in the backyard or something? Why didn't they both go use the other one if Kristy was in there for so long?
*Evidently, Bart is turned on by limp macaroni. He tells her she's beautiful.
Dawn: Is stuck at the airport with her mom when Jeff's plane is rerouted to Washington DC. Jeff's flying in for Christmas, and on Christmas Day, they'll both go back to California. This is the second dumbest plot in the book, worst being Jessi's.
Dawn's WTF Moments:
*She thinks she's going to die when the car slides into a mailbox at five miles per hour. Sharon swears.
*Dawn turns into a backseat driver, even though she "can't drive and she's sitting in the front seat." If she doesn't know how to drive, maybe she should STFU. It's hard enough to drive in snow without your passengers trying to tell you what to do.
*What is it with 13 year old girls and having to look perfect in the morning? She too is embarrassed to wake up with thirty other people in an airport. Everyone else is in the same boat, Dawn. Chill out.
*Dawn's surprised that a salad from the airport's cafeteria is decent. Salad is lettuce and veggies. How can you screw up a salad?
*Tell me why Dawn is so enamored with her brother. When I was 13, my brother was slime.
Claudia: Is baby-sitting for the Perkins girls and is stuck there overnight when Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are stuck at their friends' house in the country. When the power goes out, they lose Chewy the Dog.
Claudia's WTF Moments:
*She heats up spaghetti in a double boiler. Do the Perkinses not have a microwave?
*Mrs. Kishi comes over to see if Claudia wants her help. Claud, being a member of the BSC, declines Mrs. Kishi's offer.
*Before Myriah and Gabbie go to bed, they're looking for Chewy so they can tell him goodnight. Alas, he's nowhere to be found. They search the house but can't find him. Claudia puts the girls to bed and looks for him some more. She can't find him, so she gives up and goes to bed. Um, I don't know about the rest of you, but letting my dogs outside is the last thing I do before I go to bed. I think I'd look a little harder before giving up.
*Turns out, Chewy was in the basement. To give her some credit, Claudia lets him out right away.
Mary Anne and Mallory: Are baby-sitting the rest of the Pikes since Mr. and Mrs. Pike went to New York to do some shopping and stuff. Mrs. Pike tells the girls that while there's enough for breakfast and dinner, there's not much else. During the blizzard, they quickly run out of food. They are saved when Logan cross-country skis over to the Pikes' with a backpack full of stuff the next morning. They also start to wonder where Stacey and her mother are, since there's no lights on at the McGills' and they aren't answering the phone.
WTF Moments:
*They make Mary Anne sleep on a cot in Mallory and Vanessa's room. I guess I'd rather sleep on a couch, but that's just me.
*Byron wants a popsicle for breakfast, and Mary Anne asks Mallory if it's okay. Mallory tells him sure. He doesn't really want one, he just wanted to know what they'd say if he asked for one.
*The little Pikes are convinced that the blizzard happens because they did a snow dance in the back yard.
Jessi: Gets stranded at her ballet school when her father can't come pick her up. Quint is on his way in from the city for the Winter Wonderland dance, and he walks to the school from the train station. Jessi also takes all the pipsqueaks under her wing for the night.
Jessi's WTF Moments:
*Her whole plot. I really can't stand Jessi, and I usually skip over her chapters anyway. I guess getting stuck at dance school is no worse than getting stuck in an airport, but this one really sucks. If you have anything to add about her, feel free to do so.
Stacey: Goes to the Washington Mall with her mother to get her hair permed for the dance. On the way home, Mrs. McG gets freaked out by driving on the highway, so they start back to Stoneybrook on back roads. And ultimately get stuck. A stranger takes them to his house, where they
Stacey's WTF Moments:
*They go to the salon without an appointment, for a perm. Don't those take a while? Seriously.
*They take back roads to get home. Really, Mrs. McGill? I figure you're a smart woman, WTF made you think the back roads would be safer?? Stick to the highway, lady. Let me tell you, the highways are the first roads to get plowed.
*Stacey doesn't get why the son of the man who saved them is so fussy. Well, he's never seen you before, and you stink like rotten eggs. Hmm. I don't know either.
Well, everyone survives the blizzard, and Kristy writes it all up for a newspaper article. The dance goes off without a hitch, and all is fabulous in Stoneybrook.

Stacey better get her money back from that perm. She also looks um...quite...

18 comments:
I've read a few recaps of this one, and I have nooooo interest in reading it ever. Also, doesn't Bart live across the street from Kristy? Couldn't he haved walked home?
LOL that you read this for every first snowfall. Every first snowfall my husband and I watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Even if we don't see snow till February!
Holy Christ ... that last picture looks like a picture from my 8th grade "formal" in 1992. The theme was "Beverly Hill 90210".
"So Ed, where'd you get the tenement on wheels?"
"That there Clark, that's an RRRRR-V. And don't go fallin' in love with it, cuz we're takin' it with us when we leave here next month."
I LOVE that movie! I just watched it like two days ago. Best. Christmas. Movie. Ever.
Bart does live down the street, and around the corner from Kristy's. Mrs. Brewer didn't want him to go home for some reason. Maybe she's Mrs. Robinson in disguise?
Cat, you're not far off, this one was published in 1991. I checked because the newspaper article picture in the front of the book had a newsstand price of $1, which I thought was pretty steep for 1991. At least the girls are somewhat fashionable for the time.
I know in one of the books, I think maybe Dawn and the Impossible Three, Kristy says there are nine bedrooms in Watson's house. I know I read that in of the earlier books. So, one for Kristy's parents, one each for the 4 Thomas kids, one for Karen and Andrew, one for Emily Michelle, and one for Nannie, would add up to no spare rooms. Maybe there was a Karen super special no one read where Watson added another bedroom. And yes, at any rate, it wouldn't have killed Bart to walk home a block, regardless of how much snow there was. If Logan can cross country ski with a bag full of food, Bart can friggin cross the street.
And I don't get what Kristy was so worried about- she never wears makeup or jewelry, always has a ponytail, wears turtlenecks and jeans daily- other than maybe flannel pajamas instead, how would she look any different than how Bart usually sees her?
Re: Dawn and Jeff, there has always been a little something between those two that makes me vaguely uncomfortable. It's not quite a Flowers in the Attic vibe but it's something close.
I've had sucky salad before. Sometimes the lettuce is really limp or rotten. And of course the dressing could always suck.
Stacey's mother is totally crazy. Stay the night with some man they don't know? Along with her 13 year old daughter. Keep the heat on and sleep in the car, Mama McGill! She's lucky this was reading level 4th grade, or Stacey would have been sold into white slavery.
I hate snow so much! Probably why I never read this book. We have been getting a lot of snow here (Chicago) and I am so miserable! I agree-WHY would you think the back roads would be better?! Everyone knows the highways are the first to be plowed.
I got a perm in 8th grade. It does take a long time and it smells horrible.
That last picture is pretty awful.
Great recap. I never read enough of the BSC to get introduced to Jessi (or maybe I just blocked her out because I remember Mallory). Anyway, why does everyone seem to hate her?
Amee, Jessi sucks because she thinks everyone hates her because she's black. And she's naturally gifted at everything she does: ballet, Spanish, sign language, getting up in the morning, it goes on and on. I don't have much patience for Jessi, period.
Seriously, I only read half the book before I started this post.
Blue828, I did a post a sometime ago and I counted bedrooms as a Continuity Issue. I just don't remember which post it was and I don't feel like looking for it. I was hoping someone would dig through the archives to find it. :p Also, Mrs. McG's car's heater stopped working and it ran out of gas (which I forgot to mention in the post), so other than snuggling close to each other, going home with some random guy was their only other option.
Zanne (and my other upper Midwest readers), aren't things miserable? It's been snowing here constantly, school was late on Monday, they dismissed early Tuesday, and the weather is supposed to be icy/snowy again tomorrow. It's getting old, fast.
Oh my god, I just realized that I numbered this one wrong in the title. It's Super Special #7, not 8. I noticed when I put it back on the shelf. I didn't even see it when I linked it in the Library. *shameface*
You guys are dropping the ball! :p
Your comments about that picture are freaking hilarious :D
That picture is awful...no dreadful.
I for some reason loved this book growing up because it's almost as worn as SS#5 and SS#6, two of my all time favorites.
I never understood why the Pikes had no food left. I'm single, live with me and my cat and have enough pasta to get me through the next month at least! While the kids may groan about spaghetti once again, it's cheap!
Stacey's SL was scary...wonder what ever happened to cute little Mason who loved Stacey?
If I had been Dawn's mother driving, I would have totally gone off on her. I'm a pretty calm driver, even in bad weather but...don't talk to me. Period.
Jessi...I remember that Quint walked from the train station to her studio because Jessi's dad never showed to pick him up. So...Logan cross country skis, Quint trecks it who knows how far to the dance studio, and Bart can't make it down the STREET? I guess Kristy's story is less entertaining without him, but really.
Thanks for posting, I love your recap!
I hate Jessi. She probably thinks the snow is racist because it's white.
This is one of those Super Specials I never really liked growing up -maybe because they don't go anywhere fun.
Looove your photo description!
Oh c'mon now ... Watson was trying to get Kristy knocked up and married off and out of the house so he could finally have that long-sought-after guest room!
I dont think it was ever specifically mentioned where Bart lived. I don't think he lived on the same street. Maybe a few streets over.
And I swear it's mentioned in Karen's BAby-sitter that he lives about halfway between the little house and the bighouse, because he's able to get to the little house easily.
Oh ok, I must not have read any of the books Jessi was in. I think I would have remembered her. lol
I looked it up in the BSC Guide to Life or whatever it's called, that encyclopedia book. The page about Bart says that he "lives near Kristy" and his first appearance is in #20. I went back to #20 and the description in that book of where Bart lives was incredibly vague.
So really, the only thing I'm going on is the "map" in the back of the BSC Encyclopedia, which shows Bart's house two streets over from Kristy's and the name of the street is wrong anyway.
I always thought Bart incredibly unappealing. And all these years later, I still do. Probably cos I was never interested in the boring Bashers/Krushers storylines. Yuck, I hope the Thomases/Brewers had a spare toothbrush in their mansion! If Kristy thought SHE had problems with her limp spaghetti hair, imagine how Bart would have felt not being able to brush his teeth!
mMary-Anne is totally the prettiest BSCer. I wrote a horrible fanfic when I was ten (back before the Internet came along) in which she becomes part of the popular group in high school and totally ditches her friend.
I reme
Ahhhhhh, my silly but very, very sweet and cuddly cat stepped on my keyboard and did something! Anyway, I wrote that I remember when Stacey's mother screamed at her to shut up, and I remember thinking she was such a biznatch.
Post a Comment