Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to the grind

I'm home now, and the holidays are (finally) over, school's started, and now I can get back to my routine. I have wonderful things to tell you!

I had a lot better luck this time around book-trolling. That's pretty surprising, considering I only went to two Goodwills and a surprise used bookstore. It was a surprise because I didn't even see it; my husband pointed it out to me! Shot yourself in the foot there, honey. If you're ever in El Dorado, Kansas, go to the Book Grinder on West Central Avenue. Aside from books, you can get all sorts of wonderful coffee. If I hadn't been there at three in the afternoon, I'd have gotten some myself.

So, I got:

Charlotte Sometimes
by Penelope Farmer. It's been years since I read this. It's about a girl who, while at boarding school, somehow manages to time travel back to WWI-era England. I couldn't remember the title of this for the life of me, but as soon as I saw the book, I couldn't pass it up.

Blubber by Judy Blume. I've been keeping an eye out for Blumes and never find any. A few weeks ago I bid on some on ebay, but I only wanted four books out a lot of eleven and the bid was over $20, so I let it go.

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar. I'd better jump on the GG train. This way, when I read other blogs, I can tell the difference between the characters and the actors who play them. There's nothing more irritating [to me] than actors who get called by their characters' names by fans.

The Third Eye and Summer of Fear by Lois Duncan. Evidently, I am slowly but surely completing my LD collection.

There's a Bat in Bunk Five by Paula Danziger. I really really love The Cat Ate My Gymsuit and the sequel is almost as good. Fortunately, both are the "old" covers, the ones I read back in the day.

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. This one is loosely related to the Dark Tower series, so I picked it up.

Now, the BSCs I picked up:

#49, Claudia and the Great Search
#51, Stacey's Ex-Best Friend
#72, Dawn and the We ♥ Kids Club
#115, Jessi's Big Break Too bad she didn't leave.
Mystery #19, Kristy and the Missing Fortune

I won two lots on ebay, one was four portrait books, Mary Anne, Claudia, Dawn, and Stacey, plus a BSC bookmark. The other was Logan's Story, Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-sitter, the movie novelization, another bookmark, and a VIDEO! It's "Claudia and the Mystery of the Secret Passage"! I haven't watched it yet, but I know it'll be great in a totally cheesy way. I bid last night on a set of all seven BSC dolls, but I left the computer and forgot all about it, and when I checked it this morning, I found it went for just a dollar more than my max bid. Boo.

And now I'm off to buy a new (bigger) bookcase.

3 comments:

nikki said...

BSC Dolls??!?!?!?!?!?

Sa-weet!

Anonymous said...

I hope you like the Portrait Collections. In a non-snarky way, Mary Anne's book has always been one of my favorites of the series :)

Oh, and I used to rent that particular BSC video from the library all the time! I loved it, though I'm sure now it would seem seirously cheesy to me.

Anonymous said...

What a great haul! I looooove me some Lois Duncan -and was thinking about writing about The Third Eye soon.