Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thank gawd the long weekend is over!

Oh my god, I take a few days off and everyone has like five new posts that I have to catch up on. Good thing I don't have to go to work much this week.

Well, first of all, my first foray into cooking Thanksgiving went well. Mainly because my mom did the majority of the cooking. I did freak out a little about getting the uncookables out of the turkey's orifice. I texted my mom in a panic: "I have to put my hand IN that?" She showed up five minutes later, charged into my kitchen, and laughed at the naked, pathetic turkey in the sink. She had that junk out without blinking an eye. I almost barfed. Good thing there was five bottles of wine floating around.

Dinner itself went well, except that my two-year-old niece broke one of my plates. I set the table with my good china that I've had for 15 years and never touched. Now I only have service for eleven. Grr. My older sister dunked her hooters into the cool whip salad that she made, thus christening said dessert Boob Salad. We played board games until midnight and got tanked on sangria. It was great. I decided for next year I'm going to do a buffet of deli-sliced turkey sandwiches, potato chips, and pie. And it'll be just Hubby and kids. Big family gatherings are overrated. (They took all the good leftovers and left me with a freakin' turkey wing and ten pounds of mashed potatoes. Plus, bitches stole all my cheesecake. But they did leave an entire bottle of wine...)

Secondly, I convinced my husband that I had to go the one Goodwill that's closest to our corner of the cornfield. (It's fifty miles away.) We were pretty close to it anyway, and I talked him into going the extra fifteen miles because I had a gut feeling that I would get a good score. Warning: About a hundred links ahead.

And I did! I got:

Fear Street Killer's Kiss. I've been on Fear Street so much that I couldn't turn down such a pristine copy.

Keyhole editions of Seeds of Yesterday and Ruby by V.C. Andrews. I already have Seeds of Yesterday, but it isn't a keyhole, so it'll go on my Books to Share list, and I didn't have Ruby so, yay!

Bummer Summer by our favorite, Ann M Martin. I think this is the first book she ever wrote, and I haven't read it in years.

BSCs #6 Kristy's Big Day and #57 Dawn Saves the Planet. The #6 is the new cover, which is better than the original, IMO, and I didn't have #57, so yay! again.

A three-book series called Island by Gordon Korman. Individual titles are: Shipwreck, Survival, and Escape. I've never heard of them before, and I'm a total sucker for shipwreck stories.

Two crazy books called Chicken Poop in My Bowl and Chicken Poop in Your Bowl II. It looks like they're full of jokes and stories. I'm going to put them in the bathroom.

Adorable Sunday by Marlene Fanta Shyer. It's about a girl named Sunday, who goes into acting after her braces come off. I read the crap outta this book when I was younger. I was thrilled to see it at Goodwill.

Biggest score of all? The Sweet Valley High board game! It even looks like it has all the pieces. I'm gonna make my teenage boys play it with me. The older one played the BSC Mystery game with me once, but he made it all porny, so maybe I won't have him play.

Plus, Taren traded some books with me (thank you!), so I'm knee deep in Super Mystery #1. She also traded a Stacey mystery, and boy, is Stacey fug on that cover. I'll have to do that one soon so I can share the cover.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay I love reading about what books people get! Soooo jealous about the Sweet Valley game -though your son sounds hilarious. Which VC Andrews books do you not have? And are you still reading? I finally had to stop at the first April book and the one about Celeste -they have NOTHING on the Casteels!

Kait W. said...

Oh, I like the original #6 better, especially since the new one makes two mistakes: first, Karen's wearing glasses when she doesn't have them yet; and second, she's wearing yellow shoes when in the book it says her dad bought her black patent leather.

nikki said...

Bummer Summer is my favorite AMM book. I also like the new Kristy's Big Day cover. Kristy looked about ten feet tall in the old one.

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! We also hosted for the first time, but for only 8 people (one of whom is only 2 years old).

BananaBomb said...

Taren, the only VCAs I have are the Dollanganger and Casteel series, and My Sweet Audrina. I don't know if I want to collect more, possibly only the Ruby series, if any. I did try to keep up with the other series. I think I read most of the Melody series, and I know I read the Willow series, but the newest ones I didn't like at all. They're horrible, and the ghostwriter is crossing boundaries he should've never even approached. Thinking about these makes me want to do a VCA post.

Kait, you're right about the shoes and the glasses, which I never thought about. My reason for liking the new cover better is that that particular scene is in the book, but the cover of the old #6 depicts it wrong. Kristy looks way too old and Andrew looks like a little old man.

Nikki, Bummer Summer and With You and Without You are my fave AMM non-BSC books. I'm excited to read Bummer Summer again. It's been too long!

zanne said...

My brother and I suggested that we have deli-sliced turkey for Thanksgiving this year, since we like that much better than regular turkey! My mom said no, though. The only leftovers I took home were pie.

Very cool about all the books!