
We're up to graphic novel #2, which follows #3, The Truth About Stacey. [Duh!] When I got the first three from the library, I was a little confused about which BSCs were going to be converted, since #2 Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls wasn't made into comic form. Evidently, they just skipped that one, because the fourth one is Claudia and Mean Janine. Too bad they're not making any more; I'd kinda like to see an early Dawn book made into a comic, preferably The Ghost at Dawn's House.
This one follows the book pretty closely, a few updates were made, mainly just modernization really. Stacey starts out reminiscing about growing up in New York City with Laine:
This is before she and Laine got into their horrendous fight, BTW. And before Stacey was diagnosed, because the next few panels are of the two of them chowing on sundaes in a cafe and Stacey feeling dizzy when she gets out of the booth. Also shown is Stacey going into shock at school and getting carted away by ambulance.We're also privy to Stacey's dinner:

Steamed dill carrots don't sound that bad. It's the "apple-glazed pork chop" that doesn't sound very appetizing.
The girls also find out that the Baby-Sitting Agency has been formed, and it's WAR! Talking strategy:

One of their ideas to keep their current clients is Kid-Kits:
They look so self-satisfied.When Mrs. Newton goes into labor, the girls decide to have a "Big Brother" party for Jamie. Mid-party, Sam Thomas answers the phone when Mr. Newton calls:
Yep, Stacey's still hot for him.And.....

Lucy Newton, in

Stacey and her parents go back to New York for a long weekend so Stacey can see a new doctor. When Ma and Pa McGill tell her they're staying at the Cummings' apartment instead of a hotel, Stacey's pissed. She and Laine still haven't made up. To placate their spoiled daughters, the adults take them to the movies, where Laine obnoxiously eats movie theater candy in front of Stacey. Stacey huffs away to get her own, but doesn't have enough money:



Stacey and Laine make up blah blah blah. I like how the prices have skyrocketed. Ha! At my local movie theater, you can get a small popcorn and a small soda for $5 yet (and tickets are only $5 too!). And our movies aren't a year out of date. Currently playing is High School Musical 3 and Beverly Hills Chihuahua.
Anyway, Stacey and Laine get caught up on Stacey's old classmates and gossip for the rest of the weekend. Since the remaining tests and doctor appointments have been canceled, Stacey and her folks go back to Stoneybrook early, and Stacey finds out that the Baby-Sitters Agency has been disbanded.
Other modernizations:
*Laine talks to Stacey on what looks like a cell phone
*Stacey's parents drive a crossover SUV instead of a station wagon, and Mrs. McGill cancels the appointments with a cell phone (I know it was a cell phone this time because they're in the car)
*There's a debit card swiper on the concessions counter
*At Jamie's Big Brother party, Kristy tells Stacey to put a CD on (in the book it was a record or a tape)
There were two or three continuity issues, but I can't remember what they were, and I took the books back to the library we're all SOL. Nothing too major, or else I'dda written them down.

9 comments:
Holy crap! Where the frak do you live that movies are only $5??? Our matinees aren't even that cheap. We're at $9.75 for a ticket and $7.00 for a matinee ticket. I don't even think about getting food! That's why I rarely go to the theater. Although Zack and Miri Make a Porno is calling my name....
For some reason I feel like Lucy Newton was born during Claudia and Mean Janine. Why am I thinking that?
Maybe Jamie was having sibling issues during Claudia and Mean Janine? I remember it sort of paralleled with Jamie feeling jealous of Lucy.
I live in Northwest Iowa, more specifically, In The Sticks, also more commonly known as In The Middle of a Cornfield. Our movie theater kicks ass. (Matinees are $4.50, but they're only on Sunday afternoon.)
I also want to see Zack and Miri. Hubby and I are huge Kevin Smith fans, and we found out today that it's playing in Walmartville (also more commonly known as The Next Town Over). But tickets there are $7....so we might wait for a while.
Mahnaz, you're right. There's tons of sibling rivalry in Claudia and Mean Janine. Lucy's christening was during that book. Maybe that's what you're thinking, Nikki?
Yes, the christening must be what I'm thinking. It's coming back to me now...I vageuly remember Claudia wearing some sort of black leggings with a white t-shirt to the christening and even I, who had never been to church in my life, knew that wasn't church-appropriate.
Another continuity thing: didn't she ask for a Diet Tab in the original?
You're right, Kait. She did ask for Tab, although it wasn't diet. (I actually had to look that up.)
I'm a sucker for these drawings...adorable.
These graphic novels are great!
I was also overjoyed when I found these novels at the library I worked at! So great. Love the blog!
Post a Comment