Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Logan

January 10 is Logan's birthday. I'm so dedicated to my blog [i.e. geek] that I added all the BSC members' birthdays to my calendar so I could do a birthday/tribute post about their characters, personalities, and traits I liked and disliked about them. So, let's talk about Logan.

When he first appeared in #10 Logan Likes Mary Anne!, my tweenaged self though he was a heck of a catch. Mary Anne was so lucky he liked her! He was so cute on the cover! Then he turned into a controlling jerk and Mary Anne dumped him. Then she took him back. Then she dumped him again. They had their trials and tribulations, for sure.

I'm sitting here trying to think of what to say about Logan, and I really can't think of anything. He's a boy, he's thirteen, he's from "Lou-ah-vull," or whatever, he's a dick, he has blondish-brown hair. He works at the Rosebud Cafe (how does that happen, he's only 13!) and calls it the "Road Spud." Original. He's a jock. What else can I say about him?

I truly think Logan is a very unrealistic thirteen year old boy. My reasoning for that is because I have a fifteen year old stepson, and he and Logan have about the same maturity level. I don't know if that speaks badly for my stepson or for Logan. When my stepson was thirteen, he didn't know what a girl was. And here's Logan, with a "serious" relationship. When I compare my stepson to, say, age-equal Sam Thomas, there's no comparison there either. While Ann Martin/the ghostwriters do well with the girls, they strike out for teenage boys.

Reading over this, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like Logan very much, especially in the later books. I'm trying very hard to think of something good to say about him, but... Well, I guess he did do some good in Super Special #7 by saving Mary Anne and the Pikes from being hungry. That's about it.

At any rate, Happy Birthday, Logan.

4 comments:

nikki said...

I blame Ann M. Martin for giving me unrealistic expectations of teenage boys back when I was a teenager.

Oh....a 15 year old stepson. It's so hard to imagine having a teenager! My son is just two.

Anonymous said...

i went to Louisville Kentucky this weekend and NO ONE TALKED LIKE THAT!!

WTF?! lol

Anonymous said...

God, do I hate Logan. I don't even want to celebrate his stupid birthday. Worst boyfriend ever!

Linainverse5 said...

hmmm
even though there is a lot of reason to hate logan bruno
however
i cant bring myself to hate him
because as a teenager
i grew to love logan
but yet
now looking back
i still kinda like logan
but im glad her and logan broke up
because i see her and cary retlin getting kind of cozy in the friends forever series
so yeah
now that she's dumped logan
maybe she can go for cary retlin
since they would make one heck of a character
(not to mention make kristy totally jealous)