*This is the post exactly how I saved it. You guys asked for it.*
My Google calendar tells me it was Stacey's birthday the other day. She's been pretty popular lately. Greer's been discussing her, and Donica has a birthday post too.
I guess I have to say that while Stacey didn't rank high on my list of favorite Baby-sitters (uh, like right ahead of Kristy and Jessi) I did and still do enjoy her books. I just never really identified with her the way I did with Mary Anne, whom I'm most like anyway. I was a little fascinated with Stacey's life but I didn't envy her. Well, maybe a little.
I don't recall what I thought of Stacey's outfits way back when. Maybe not something that your average thirteen year old would wear, but she was from New York City!! and probably everyone in New York dressed like that anyway. Sometimes, Stacey's clothes seemed outright boring and/or grandma-ish. My sense of fashion is runs more like Kristy's, except I don't remember the last time I wore a turtleneck.
I was always a little puzzled over the other girls' constant reminders to Stacey's oft-permed hair. Since my mom was a great one for perms, I had many of them as a child; you should see my "Welcome to fourth grade" picture. Poodle city.
One thing I was thinking about the other day was in Super Special #2, Baby-Sitters Go to Camp, Stacey winds up in the infirmary and one of the campers brings her the Stephen King book she's reading. Since SS #2 was published in 1989, the newest SK at the time was The Tommyknockers. That's a little weird for a thirteen year old (especially for a BSC member), but you know what? That's the first SK I read, and I was about that age, too. (And strangely enough, I don't like that book very much.) So....does that make me weird? The other book she was reading was The Catcher in the Rye. So maybe Stacey really is more sophisticated than the others? Well, she did grow up in New York City.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Nice thoughts on Stacey. And not really all that terribly written considering how tired you were! I've written some doozies while sleepy.
I just read my first Stephen King novel last year. I read Carrie. Now I'm reading The Stand. I only started because I love his every three weeks column in Entertainment Weekly Magazine.
And my 7th grade picutre--also poodle city. Yech.
Yay! Glad you posted this. I always related mostly to MA--I wasn't really all that wild a dresser till much later.
That's interesting that Stacey read a Stephen King book. I was around that age or so when I first started, or maybe fourteen. I just can't imagine anyone in BSC land reading anything as unwholesome as Stephen King.
It's also funny to see Stacey shopping at Bloomingdale's. Seems a bit old for a 13 yo. I know she's "sophisticated." But Bloomie's? I dunno.
Haha... my seventh grade picture we put this stuff in my hair that day that made it look REALLY curly.
Nice and poofy.
I always felt like I should like Stacey since we are both Aries (not that I follow horoscopes slavishly) I wonder if Anne considered star signs when choosing the girls' birthdays...
Anyway, Stacey books always seemed pretty exciting to me as they were so far removed from my world, but yeah, definitely related more to someone like Mary Anne.
Yeah agree with the fact I can't picture any of the BSC members reading Stephen King, let alone Permarella.
I always thought the whole Stephen King references were a bit of a continuity error. You'll also notice that in Mary Anne's Bad Luck Mystery, she says she's 'read enough Stephen King books to know that you don't go messing around with the supernatural' when does that sound like something she would ever read? This from the person who refused to go with Logan to see Halloween Three (ironically, the one that had absolutely nothing to do with the movie franchise)? Incidentally, my first Stephen King book was Gerald's Game and I was around ten...not sure what that says about me.
Post a Comment