Monday, April 27, 2009

BSC #16, Jessi's New...And She's Black, OMG


(Image stolen from Amazon, because I'm having computer issues and my copy is all faded and looks like crap anyway.)

I picked up this book last night because it's been awhile (somewhere around 15 years, give or take a few) since I last read it. It wasn't as bad as her later books, that's for sure.

It starts off with Jessi waking up at 5:29, one minute before her alarm goes off. She explains her family history to us, and announces that she's black.

I know it sounds funny to announce it like that. If we were white, I wouldn't have to, because you would probably assume we were white. But when you're a minority, things are different.


You know, Jessi, I think your picture on the cover kinda tipped me off that you're black.

Moving on, Jessi is having breakfast with her family and her mother reminds her that today's the day for auditions for the ballet her school is putting on, Coppelia. Jessi is somewhat nervous, but explains to Becca the story behind the ballet, which I don't care to type out, but it boils down to a jealous girlfriend and a whole lotta miscommunication, and everything is resolved at the end of course.

After the auditions, which Jessi doesn't bother to tell us about (thank you) she has a BSC meeting. She arrives late, but Kristy is OK with it. And here comes Jessi's thoughts of the other members, which is pretty routine, except that Kristy's new stepdad is "a millionaire or something." This is also the book where the girls are trying to touch their noses with their tongues because if you can, you'll need a very big bra eventually, "like, when you're eighteen." I always thought that being able to do that meant that you'd make a great lesbian, but whatever. Surprise! Kristy is the only one who can do it.

The phone rings, interrupting their nose hair tasting, and it's a new client who has a deaf child. Hello, Braddocks! But their new sitter has to learn sign language. And since Jessi's so great at languages (and is the only one whose schedule permits sitting every Monday and Wednesday for the next month), she gets the gig.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Jessi gets the role of Swanilda, the lead in the ballet. Of course. She worries about being a black Swanilda, but if the teacher doesn't "seem to mind" she won't either. Get over yourself, Jessi. And through some bitchy girls in her class, she assumes incorrectly that her teacher favors new students, not the ones who are actually good dancers or anything.

So, Jessi goes to the Braddocks' house and starts learning American Sign Language. Mrs. B teaches her the most basic signs, and gives her a dictionary to take home and study.

Between learning ASL and practicing for the ballet, Jessi doesn't sit much for any other kids. Which is fine with me. But she's getting to know the Braddock kids, Haley and Matt, better, and there's some sibling rivalry going on. Haley sometimes resents Matt for being different, even while she's sticking up for him. Jessi tells Haley that it's OK to be different, and that she goes through some of the same stuff Haley does, because she's black. OMG.

And now for the sub-subplot. Jessi had an epiphany about even though the kids at Matt's School for the Deaf can't hear it, they can feel the music that's played. It's simple physics, Jessi. She decides that it would be a wonderful experience for the kids in Matt's class to see the ballet. She goes through this whole rigmarole of talking to the authorities at Matt's school and the head at her ballet school and Mrs. B to see if it's a good idea. Why don't you just invite them?

I guess I missed a part of a page, because the reason she did all that is because before each act, Haley narrated what was going to happen, and Mrs. B translated it into sign language.

The ballet performance is fabulous, naturally, and when Jessi takes her curtain call, Matt comes up and gives her a bouquet of roses. The deaf sister of a classmate gives her sister flowers, and the classmate confesses that she's started to take a sign language class. Her family didn't know how to sign, because the deaf one lived at her school, and was rarely home, so they didn't bother to learn.

WTF Moments:
*Kristy not going crazy when someone was late.

*Jessi says her brother Squirt knows four "real" words: mama, dada, ba, and ackaminnie. Um, the spellchecker tells me that only "mama" is not misspelled, so that means dada, ba, and ackaminnie are not real words. "Ackaminnie," FYI, supposedly means ice cream.

Continuity Issues:
*Jessi says she doesn't want to dance professionally.

Don't forget, Jessi's black.

I've been kinda burnin' to do Mallory Gets the Kissing Disease, so I'm pretty sure that'll be the next BSC book. I hadn't planned on doing this book (or a Jessi book, for that matter), but I haven't done a book in a really long time and it was due. Since I read it last night and I'm trying to get out of cleaning out my storage room, I decided why not.

12 comments:

Sadako said...

I love Mallory gets the kissing disease!

When was it that Jessi stopped being all, I don't want to dance pro, and became BALLET IS MY LIFE ELEVENTYONE!!!! It's weird how they changed it.

Anonymous said...

The "ackaminnie" thing annoys the shit out of me - I get annoyed by all of AMM's "personal touches," though. Yes, we know you love I Love Lucy, do not know that the 50s are over and couldn't pronounce ice cream as a child. Do a bunch of your characters all have to do those things as well?

I'm not sure why it bugs so hard, but it does. Maybe because they're never unique traits to the characters, either, so she's even too lazy to think of something new for SOME of them.

Anonymous said...

WTF JESSI'S BLACK??? Someone really should have said something.

I remember that this book inspired me to learn how to sign the alphabet and to make a sign for my name.

HelenB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HelenB said...

I know it sounds funny to announce it like that. If we were white, I wouldn't have to, because you would probably assume we were white. But when you're a minority, things are different.

That is actually a pretty valid point.

Jen said...

The Bradocks are some of the best sitting charges! But what happens to them after Jess ships of to ballet school!

Also Mallory get the Kissing Disease? I cant remember this one! What happens?

These are the questions that haunt me.

BananaBomb said...

I think Mallory Gets the Kissing Disease is one of my favorite Mallory books [out of two]. It's actually titled #69 Get Well Soon, Mallory! She comes down with mono, and sleeps for like a month. She's also downsized to an honorary member position in the club for a few books, returning to regular Junior status in #73, I think. (I'm not entirely sure, because I don't have that one but in #74 Kristy says Mal just returned to sitting.)

Looks like Jessi decides to go pro in #36. The books before that one just say she's talented and takes lessons. In #37, Dawn says Jessi is working hard toward her goal of becoming a professional ballerina.

HelenB, Jessi's comment about minorities is valid, I agree with you very much. It just seems like Jessi points it out very chance she gets and every time she has a problem with something or someone, she says it's because she's black. It gets really old to read that all the time. I couldn't care less what ethnicity Jessi is, and besides that, we don't see Claudia mooning around all the time because she's Asian.

nikki said...

Wait...what? Jessi is black? I for real had no idea because it's not mentioned in every book in an extremely awkward manner.

Also, I can touch my tongue to my nose. I only ever needed a really big bra when my boobs were making an obscene amount of milk for a very hungry baby. Also, not a lesbian. So much for both of those theories!

This was like, my fourth favorite BSC book growing up.

Jess said...

The minute I read this, I thought of that MAD TV skit that went "You won't hire me because I'm black" lol....I'd post the link but youtube is blocked at work :)

Sadako said...

It's also awkward b/c of the way the racism is portrayed in the first book Jessi appears. "She must be from Africa" or "Is her name Mbobwe?!" Like...have these kids NEVER seen or heard of a black person? Racism doesn't surprise me but Connecticut kids in the 80s making Little Black Sambo jokes would.

Children of the 90s said...

The kissing disease! Yes!

And this cover brings back so many memories, I totally forgot about this book. I always thought it was sort of odd how much Jessi awkwardly referenced her blackness, but I guess these aren't the most multidimensional characters in the world.

Anonymous said...

Jessi's black!?!?